Chemicals have recently become more and more prevalent in American households. Household products increasingly include synthetic chemicals to produce a more powerful product. Cleaners, solvents, pest poisons, cosmetic and hair products, and yard products are some of the many chemical solutions that many households keep around. While chemicals are extremely useful for household applications, they can also pose a health hazard to children and adults alike if not properly used with care.Burn RisksHousehold chemicals are purposely designed to be powerful so that they live up to their advertising. Many of these newer solutions are close to industrial strength and therefore should be treated as the potentially dangerous chemicals that they are. Many families don’t possess the proper cleanup materials to handle a chemical accident, so it is important to take precautions when chemical solutions are being used. Chemicals can burn your hand or other part of the body if they make contact with your skin and can be especially dangerous if splashed into your eyes. Also, depending on the chemical, trying to wash off a chemical burn with soap could make the burn worse if the chemical reacts with the soap.Safety PrecautionsWhenever storing and using chemicals around the house, there are a number of safety tips that can help minimize the risk of a chemical burn, including:
Store chemicals high up or in a locked cabinet. Always keep chemical bottles out of reach of children to prevent a chemical burn or accidental ingestion.
Dilute the chemical before use. Most household cleaning does not require industrial strength chemicals. If the bottle suggests dilution, follow the instructions and dilute as appropriate. This will reduce the strength of the chemical and decrease the risk of severe burn.
Wear gloves. Keep your hands covered at all times while chemicals are being used.
Wear long sleeves, long pants, and close toed shoes. Keeping your limbs covered minimizes the risk of burn if the chemical splashes you.
Protect your eyes. Wear eye goggles to protect from possible splashing.
If ingested, call poison control immediately. The Poison Control Center can advise you on what to do if you ingest a chemical.
Seek medical attention if burned. Don’t try to wash the chemical off with soap. Instead, seek medical attention immediately at an emergency treatment center or by calling an ambulance.
For More InformationTo learn more about chemical burn risks from household chemicals, please visit the website of experienced Waukesha personal injury lawyers Habush, Habush & Rottier, S.C. today.